Selenium RC (Remote Control)
Selenium Remote Control has now been officially deprecated.
Following could be taken as the reasons for its discontinuation:
- No interaction with mouse cursor (so no support for automated drag and drop)
- Cannot test iphone/Android applications
- Less object oriented API
- When running individual scripts, selenium server has to be running
- Comparatively slower, since the selenium core performs the actions
- Every time the element has to searched and then perform interactions
Whats Is New In Webdriver
The very first version of Selenium was called selenium RC or Selenium Remote Control, which has now been officially deprecated.
The reasons for its discontinuation were follows:
- Support for newer browsers
- Directly interacts with the browser
- Can interact with mouse (so provides drag and drop support)
- Supports iphone/Android applications
- More object-oriented API
- Selenium Server doer not need to be running for individual scripts
- Page elements can be treated as object to perform multiple operations on the same element
- Few capabilities like it can check whether the element is visible or not
Next we take a look at the components of Selenium and find out which one to use for a particular situation.